Wow, how has it been 2 weeks since my last post? Things are finally settling into a bit of a routine. A busy one, but a routine none the less.
Most of last week was spent quilting what is almost a wholecloth quilt. The customer does what she calls “nature printing” . She uses actual plants for block printing. It makes for a very realistic painting. My job was to fill in the rest of a queen size piece of unbleached muslin. This is the result.
Yes, the quilting went a little over the top (I seem to go there quite often) but I like the way it came out.
I also picked up a quilt from Sarah that has been lurking as a UFO for years. It was a mystery quilt and somehow I was never crazy about the contrast. Now that it is quilted and bound, I really like it a lot more. If I keep up at this rate, I’ll be able to hang out the “quilts for sale” sign fairly soon.
The renovation upstairs continues. No pictures yet, but I have overhead lights, lots of plugs along one wall and the electric on other wall is almost done. My sewing machines have moved upstairs, but haven’t been set up yet. Not having a sewing machine is no fun. But it is keeping me focused on quilting. I just keep thinking about how great this sewing room is going to be.
So this is a Saturday Morning? This is my first “regular” Saturday morning off. After working every Saturday for 4 years, this is going to be a real treat. I went to the neighbor’s yard sale, started a load of laundry, did the usual morning stuff…walk & feed the dogs, etc. And it’s only 7:45. I don’t have to be at the shop ’till 10… and that’s only a 50 foot walk to “work”. I think I’ve got time to hull the strawberries I picked for jam. That’s on the agenda for tomorrow.
I’ve gotten 3 quilts done this week. I am beginning to appreciate the pantograph more. Not every quilt needs custom quilting. This churn dash is really cute and looks good with just the simple all-over.
Quilting for today is finishing one of my quilts…can hardly believe it…so my friend Sarah can take it for binding. Sarah does GREAT machine bindings. Mine are really pathetic. So we swap…I quilt, she binds. We both have shops, but she actually has quilts for sale, I can’t seem to get any of mine finished. That’s one of the things I hope I can change now that I have some control over my schedule. Speaking of schedules, I need to move laundry and get some things done before work. I just can’t get over how good this feels.
My part of the Town Hall quilt is done. It is now off to have the binding finished and start making it’s rounds of displays in and around town. I love the way it came out, but I’m very glad to see it on it’s way. Between everyone helping with the applique, designing the layout, getting approval, piecing and quilting this project has been going on almost 2 years. My name is all over the label and the signage, so hopefully I will get some business out of it. There’s lots more pictures of the quilt on my webshots June 2007 album http://community.webshots.com/user/TheCraftyUnicorn
On a business note… I am FREE of the Post Office. Now I can have real posted hours at the store and not have to worry about getting called in to work. The scary part is giving up what I thought of as outside money. You know, you go to work, you get paid…Not always the way if you own your own business. There’s no guarantee I will get quilts, but I finally realized there was no guarantee of work at the Post Office either, just 4 hours on Saturday morning. And I made more money doing a queen size panto after work than I would working 8 hours at the Post Office. No, I am not the most expensive quilter in town…the pay at the Post Office is just that bad. So after 2 years of having my machine, I am finally a Professional Machine Quilter as my primary job… feels pretty good.
It’s a good thing I’m in a mood to quilt feathers. This is the big raffle quilt I have to get done. Big in so many ways… it’s 94 X 109 inches…it’s one of the big fund raisers for the Town Hall Building Restoration Committee… and it is covered in big juicy feathers! Can you tell I’m pleased at how it’s coming out?
We started with some donated Dresdan Plates, appliqued them by hand, and then just to make things interesting, I designed the pots and borrowed the chain border. Everyone has been pleased so far.
There’s still the detail work in the chain border to finish and an outer border of feathers and the binding. The committee had a yard sale last Saturday and wanted the quilt on display to start selling tickets. So it made it’s debut a bit unfinished and still sold almost $100 worth of tickets. I’m hoping to get it finished this weekend.
Saturday was very strange… I had 3 quilts brought in for quilting by three different customers. That’s unusual in itself. But all three are green, not just have green in them… but GREEN…they are all very different, but still very green. Glad that’s my favorite color! Maybe I need more green thread?
Finally, I have a beginning. I’ve been working on this blog page for ages (through 2 blogger upgrades) and finally I’m going to post something. Don’t know if anyone will ever see it, or ever want to, but here it is anyway…
Another Beginning…Today I’m off to start the renovation of my new quilting area! We bought this building a year and a half ago. I moved the shop in November, but between the Holidays and sub-zero temperatures, there was no way to work on finishing the upstairs. Spring is finally here, so off I go with my tools to the upstairs…
Step one: Electricity- I really need to do some cleaning, but there’s no where to plug in a vacuum cleaner and no light to work after dark, so that’s today’s project… 1 plug and some lights. We will see how I do.
After that, it’s a quilting day, hopefully I can finish the quilt on the long-arm, so- beginnings and endings in one day… Don’t you love the “circle of life”
This is a demo store for testing purposes — no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss